Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Sad Goodbye


I love this dog. Unfortunately, I'll have to give him up soon.
Peanut was brought to my vet the week before Christmas. He had a broken leg, and the owners couldn't afford to fix it, so they released ownership to us. We did surgery on him and put him in a cast.
Since we were going to be closed over Christmas, I decided to take him home with me so no one would have to interrupt their day to let him out and feed him. My sister stopped over and saw him, and decided she needed to have him as a pet.
He's been on strict cage rest for the last month and a half while his leg heals. It sounds really mean, but if he's jumping around, even with a cast on, he'll run the risk of injuring it again, so he can't be out, other then to go to the bathroom. I decided to take care of him the entire time of his recovery. I've grown really attached to him in the past few weeks.
He had his cast removed on Friday, but he still needs to take it easy till his muscles are back to normal. That means, I only have him till about the end of next week. Then, he goes to live with Katie and her family. It's going to be really hard to give him up, and I'm not relishing the day that I have to do it.

5 Comments:

At 4:10 AM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

why don't the original owners get him back? just curious.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Chargenda said...

I know why the caged dog barks!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Charlie, what?

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

okay so seriously, why is the dog NOT being returned to it's original owners? i wanna know. And I know you saw the question because you responded to Charlie.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Because they owners couldn't afford treatment, so we had to pay for it. They sign a form saying they no longer want the pet and the remainder of it's care is up to us and we have the right to decide who it will live after that. It's a way to keep people from putting healthy pets to sleep because they don't have the excuse to say they can't afford treatment and just want to kill it instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home