Saturday, December 09, 2006

Kids

I really don't like little kids. I know, I'm a horrible person, but I can't help it. I grew up in a family with 8 children, so I figure I paid my dues when I grew up and don't want to ever have to take care of someone else's kids if I can help it. The exception of course is my nieces and nephew. When it comes to children I'm not related to, I want nothing to do with them. They are whiney, dependent, and have snot coming out of their noses; things that I don't want to deal with.
Despite how much I can't stand children, I found myself babysitting this afternoon. As a favor to my older sister, I helped her watch about 20 kids at my church today. Even though I go out of my way to ignore kids whenever possible, they love me. I've never understood it.
One thing I will NEVER do under any circumstances is change a diaper for someone I don't know. That is the nastiest thing I can think of. Like I said, when it comes to family members, it's completely different, but not some random person from the streets kid. This was the predicament I was in today.
I had been babysitting for about an hour(about 59 minutes too long for me), when one of the kids wet himself. He had a younger brother and older brother there. I was sitting with my sister and my brother in law when it happened. The older brother told us the middle child needed to be changed. I asked him if he was going to do it. He's about 12, he should be able to. He said no. Sucks for the kid, because I wasn't going to do it.
Anyhow, there were 5 adults there. Of the 5 of us, the younger brother, who can't be more then a year old, brought a clean diaper and wet wipes to me. He tried to hand them to me, pacifier in mouth and all, and I looked at him like he was crazy. When he didn't pick up on my body language, and continued to hold the toiletries out to me, I decided to be a little more direct with my approach. I looked him in the eye, and said no.
He had a confused look on his face after I said this, so I repeated myself. I figured it was time this kid realized the world doesn't always go out of it's way to help him. My sister told me I was a horrible person, so I told her to change the diaper. She refused. And what? It seems I'm not the only one not willing to get hepatitis from a stranger, especially when I'm volunteering my time.

1 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger christa said...

Are you still bored all the time? Let's go out.... I promise I won't pee on your carpet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home