Monday, December 11, 2006

Discounts, Pictures, and Urban legends Exposed

I wish I were a Bronner. I want discounts at the world's largest Christmas store, and to have my picture displayed in the entry way of Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. Dietrich Bronner, grandson to Wally Bronner, and one of the managers at the Temple told me tonight he can get me a discount on Christmas ornaments if I want. Score! One problem solved, only one to go.
He also told me that if I got my picture taken with a famous person and he was in the picture too, they would hang it up at Bronners. As luck would have it, Jim Brickman, pianist extrodinare was playing at the Temple tonight and was having a meet and greet after. Christa and I went to find him so I could realize my life long dream of having a picture in Bronner's. Somehow, in the confusion, we lost Dietrich. I'm sure it was an accident on his part.
Anyhow, a month or so ago, I was told a story about a secret slide in the Temple. No one has ever seen it, it's supposedly located behind a locked door that doesn't have a key. The story itself is pretty funny. The alleged slide was used during drunken initiations from the Shriners years ago(the Temple was built/used by the Shriners early on...I'm not really sure what they had to do with the theatre, but they were a big part of it).
Everyone knows where the locked door is. It's in one of the back hallways on the second floor. Legend has it that the slide leads to the stage. Anyone with common sense would say, "Why has no one ever seen the slide if it goes onto the stage?" Well, as the story is told, the slide is actually very short, and there is a big drop at the end of it. Did anyone die using it? Why is it such a secret? What padded their landing? Does it really exist? These were my thoughts when I first heard the story. Then, I realized it can't be true. There is no reason for there to be a slide in a theatre, and if there was, people would know about it.
As Christa and I were passing the door, I asked her if she had heard about the slide behind the door. She said that she not only knew about it, but had seen it. I knew she was lying, no one knows where the key is to unlock the door. We decided to open it anyway.
The door has a bar across it, and is padlocked. However, one of the hinges the bar goes through is loose, and I was able to maneuver it enough to get it open. I about peed myself. There really is a slide in the Temple. It really is short, and it really does lead to the stage. It was blocked off with a wall, so we decided to figure out where the slide actually comes out. We went downstairs into the theatre to "clean." We pretended to sweep so we could find the opening.
Backstage, in the brick wall, there is a section of bricks about 15-20 feet up that are a slightly different color then the rest of the bricks. On the bottom of the patch, you can see hinges. I'm so excited about this. I never really thought the slide existed, and neither did anyone else. What kind of crazy things were the Shriners doing back in the day? I need to find a huge pillow, put it under the slide and try it out for myself. I can't wait to try it.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger christa said...

i have two huge pillows. LET'S GO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home