Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Amish Dreams, no More



There was a huge storm today, and we lost power at work for a few hours. It made me realize just how much we rely on electricity. There was absolutely nothing we could do. We didn't have access to our computers, no phones, and no lights in the back to see what we were doing. As I sat there, bored out of my mind, I realized that I no longer want to be Amish.

When I was younger, I had a great appreciation for the Amish. I always thought it would be fun to spend a year or two in their lives. You all probably think I'm making fun of Amish people, but I'm actually being serious. I would never survive.

First of all, I don't get up before the sun. I don't wear black, and I can't go a day without electricity. Those few minor things aside, I thought it would be fun. Most importantly, you would have a barn.

I guess I should take this time to tell you how my sister and I always wanted a barn when we were younger too(by younger, I mean our late teens). Can you imagine the parties you could have in one of those things? Plus, if you have a hay loft, that would be the coolest hang out spot EVER. Yes, we were immature, but we did ask our parents for a barn every year for Christmas. We never did get one though.

Anyhow, I realized that a few hours without electricity was enough to make me insane. I even went on lunch during that time and used my cell phone and drove my car. There is no way I'm cut out for the Amish lifestyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home