Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Neverending Story



I watched this movie countless times as a child, but it always scared me. I was thinking about it when my mind was wandering at work yesterday. I think I should rent it so I can laugh at how I used to have nightmares after seeing it.

It wasn't supposed to be scary, it was aimed at little kids. The characters and storyline just freaked me out. There was the racing snail, the rock eater, and the flying dog. Not to mention, The Nothing.

I used to have dreams about the rock eater and racing snail. They would turn bad and help The Nothing destroy Fantasia(?), whatever the land was called in the book he was reading. Scary stuff.

Anyhow, the whole beginning of the movie freaked me out too. Why is this little boy reading an old book in a deserted room during a thunderstorm? I sure wouldn't do something that ridiculous. If I found that book, I would probably leave it alone. If I did read it, it would be during the middle of the day, with every light on, right next to my parents.

Where to begin with the flying dog? That was some scary stuff there. I know he was supposed to be nice, but he freaked me out. Seriously, if you saw a huge white dog, covered in glitter flying above you, wouldn't you be a little scared? Plus, as I remember it, the dog's back was nasty. It was covered in what looked like glittery cysts. Why would poor Atrey-u sit on that? You might pop one of them. Nasty.

Lisa reminded me of the worst scene in the movie when we were talking about it last night. The horse in the quicksand. That was horrible, all I can say about it to this day. Seriously, the poor horse that had to play that part must have hated his life at that moment.

There was a sequel to this movie. I don't remember too much about it. All I know is that the chicken guy probably is one of the reasons I'm still petrified of people dressed in costumes today. Someone was trying to steal the kid's memories, which were stored in some vase and looked like marbles. He had to jump off a waterfall at the end. This sequel, like most, didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

So, everyone go rent The Neverending Story. Watch it in the middle of the day though, it's scary stuff.

4 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sexbox said...

Who cares about the movie. It was all about the fierce theme song! There is even a dancey remix of it!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger paultoes said...

"bastian.... say my name!"
me and my friend, christina, say that at work all the time. scott, let's have a "neverending story" party. seriously.
i'll make deviled eggs.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I'll have to check my schedule. I make no promises.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Neil D Paris said...

The sequel was a story I couldn't wait to end...the first lives on though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home