Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mapquest, Elmo, and Little Kids Crawling on Me



Today started like any other Sunday for me. I woke up with a bit of a hangover. I wanted to stay in bed, but I had promised Dustin I would go see his show in Detroit, and today was the last day he was going to be there. Plus, I wanted to see it. I wasn't really sure how to get to the Fox Theatre, so I did what anyone would do, I mapquested.

I use mapquest any time I go on a road trip. I love it. It isn't always the most direct way to get somewhere, but it's normally worth the extra few miles to know you are going the right way. I don't know what happened today, but mapquest was wrong.

I followed the directions and got off the highway where it said to. I didn't look like I was in downtown Detroit at all, but I figured if I drove down the road a few miles like it said, I would end up in the right spot. I drove, and drove, and drove some more. There was nothing but some restaurants and gas stations. I turned around and asked someone for directions. He told me to get back on the highway and follow it till I get downtown. That was the best he could do for me. Thanks.

My dad used to drive through Detroit every day for work and is familiar with the area, so I called him. He thought I was heading in the opposite direction that I actually was, so he told me to turn around. As soon as I turned around, I realized I actually was going in the correct direction before. I turned around again. He started to give me directions.

I like to have reference points when I get directions, but my dad went a little overboard. He listed every exit I would pass, every possible highway I may end up if I'm not careful, and where to get off. I stopped listening after about 3 seconds because he had me so confused. I knew the theatre was near the baseball field and that there would probably be signs directing me where that was, so I would find it eventually. I got there on my own, and was still early enough to get tickets and get my seat without missing anything. Good thing for mapquest too, I'm not sure I'll be using them anytime soon.

Anyhow, there was a little girl sitting next to me, eating cotton candy. She kept hitting my arm with the cotton candy, and then would laugh because she thought it was funny to get me sticky. I hate kids. About halfway through the show, she decided to stand up and walk around. Of course the most comfortable place for her to stand was leaning against my leg. Her mother didn't say anything about it either. All I could think was, I'm 24 years old watching a show about Elmo by myself. I know I would be a little more careful about letting my children touch someone matching my description.

All problems aside. I did enjoy the show. Dustin saw me sitting there about 2 minutes into the show, and would look towards me when I would take a picture. The costumes were amazing. I couldn't believe how well the actors could dance in them. Crazy. Dustin was great. It brought back so many memories of the good old days at the Pit, acting on stage with him. Now he's moved on to bigger and better productions, and I'll just have to be his groupie.

3 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Casey said...

Aww, I'm glad you liked the show! My friends hate coming to see the shows, too! But sometimes, they sell beer at the concession stands! Dustin is great - he's one of my favorite people!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I thought about a glass of wine when I saw ECB, but then I realized that it was EIGHT DOLLARS. Scam!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Senora Fuerte said...

It wouldn't have helped to get angry with the cotton candy kid, 'cause she probably would have thought it was even funnier then! Kids are like that... and I agree with you: I wouldn't let my kid use a 24 year old solo audience member as an armrest... even if I weren't afraid he was a molester!! It's just not polite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home