Monday, December 12, 2005

Sugar, Spice, and Beer?



My mom told me that all the kids were going to help make Christmas cookies with her on Saturday. She knows I work during the cookie making time, and it wasn't an accident. I could pretend to be really offended by this, but I'm not. I know why I'm not allowed to help, and can't believe it has taken as long as it has for me to get the boot.

I was banished from helping to decorate Easter eggs years ago. I would write vulgar things on them with white crayons and then dye them the ugliest colors I could. When I bake, I intentionally drop egg shells in the food just so I can hear someone say that they just ate a big piece of eggshell. It doesn't sound funny, but when someone says that every time you bake something and never realizes that it is intentional, it gets to be a little humorous. Anyhow, those little tidbits were just to give you a little insight into my cooking and baking skills.

Molly and I have a tradition of hiding the Hershey's kisses wrappers under the kisses on top of the cookies so you bite into tin foil when you eat one. Everyone knows to look before they eat them, so it doesn't really have a good effect. We've played that trick for too long. I also like to decorate cookies with as many hard decorations as I can so they are completely inedible.

Last year I went a little overboard. As I've mentioned before, I need alcohol to get through large family gatherings. I'd had a few too many beers whilst baking, and decided to add a little beer to the dough to moisten it. My mom was the only one to not find it funny. Whatever. I'll do my own baking party this year. Who's with me?

5 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Chargenda said...

I hate to decorate cookies, hang ornaments, dye eggs, carve pumpkins or any sort of festive activity like that for some reason. So, this post makes me happy.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger paultoes said...

scott, i am so there with you. tell me when and where, we'll make it a holiday.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I think we should do it this Saturday at the Maytag store. Let's pretend we want to buy an oven so we can bake there.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger amanda said...

You used to be a nice, sweet boy. What happened to you?

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Bobby Xanadu said...

Scott - you are just too damn funny. Hope you're recuperating well from the show. I'm sure you're glad to have some free time again. Honestly, the things you do when baking and cooking. Please don't send me any cookies this year -- I would forget to look for the "incidentals." :) LOL

Just wanted you to know that I gave you and Paul a bit of a "shout out" on my site recently to perhaps direct a bit more traffic to your sites and you can make a few new friends in BlogLand.

Take care buddy - and happy holidays.

~Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home