Saturday, November 26, 2005

Family Dysfunction


I realize this is probably the worst picture ever taken of me, but I love it. What you can't tell is that I'm laying on top of Molly on a bench in the bar because we're both so trashed we can't stand up. This is an old picture, I've since lost my triple chin and horrible acne. This picture is just all around unflattering.
Okay, on to what this post is really about. I'm curious to know if anyone who reads my post has fun family traditions. My family has had a tradition of going out for a family lunch every Saturday for awhile. The family sits around sharing stories, catching up on the family gossip, and eating. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? I'd love to give you the details of what goes on, but I can't. See, I've never been invited to it. In fact, I didn't even know there was a Saturday family lunch until Molly told me today.
My family tends to exclude Molly(MJ as I call her) and me from most of their functions. Family vacations will be planned for months in advance, and no one will tell us about them until a day or two before when there is no hope we will get off work for them. The same holds true for family lunch. Molly called my brother who is in town for the weekend because she needed to give him something. He told her to just give it to him at the family lunch. Funny, my brother who lives out of state knows about these luncheons, and yet, MJ and I have never been told about them.
I called MJ to talk later in the day, and she asked me if I knew about the weekly lunches. Of course I didn't. No one in my family invites me to participate in anything. As the conversation progressed, I learned that MJ had the entire family(that lives locally anyhow) to her house a few days ago for dinner. MJ was running short on time, so asked my mom to tell me to come. Despite the fact that the dinner was on Wednesday, the first I heard about it was tonight.
I realize that MJ and I may be too much for some people to handle, but family has to deal with us. I mean, am I really that embarrassing to have around that I have to be excluded from family functions? I'm starting to develop a complex about it.

5 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Chargenda said...

How many siblings do you have? A weekly family lunch sounds like hell to me. I would be happy to not be invited.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Five sisters and two brothers.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I have family traditions, but not any we exclude people from. I think your family is just using you for your Krispy Kreme connections.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Chargenda said...

Wow...that is a whole lot of family.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Are you kidding me? You knew too Ryan? The only people who are invited are the married sisters and Kara? I think that covers everyone who lives around here expect Molly and me. Good to know you have a standing invitation whenever you come home. I'm not getting anything for mom and dad for christmas this year. We'll see how they like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home