Thursday, November 17, 2005

Great Reads



I discovered my new favorite author last week; David Sedaris. I know, I know, I'm way being the bandwagon. I had heard that he was really funny, but never actually bought his books before. I'm kind of glad that I waited though. See, now I have the opportunity to read his books one right after the other, and not spend months or years waiting for the next one to come out. I'm kind of a looser because I get a little depressed when I finish a book. No matter how much resolution is given, I always feel that I need more from a certain character, or what happens now that everything is okay. What about the next chapter in their lives? I shouldn't admit this, but I actually will spend time after reading a story imagining what would happen if a sequel was written to that book.

Not so with David's books. For those not familiar, they are a collection of short stories...essays actually. Since they are based on real life experiences(exaggerated experiences, I'm sure), I don't feel the need to try and guess what happened next. Real life doesn't always have resolution or end with a big hug, after all. The sad thing is that I can actually relate to a lot of his stories. Most of his stories involve his parents and siblings. I can't say that any one of my siblings will reflect any of his perfectly at any given time, but there are stories where I have to laugh because I lived through that too. It's good to know my family isn't the only crazy one out there. Maybe I should write a book too.

6 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger paultoes said...

scott, write a book and it will be my bible.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

so...are you reading "Naked" now or did you finish it? Which one are you gonna read next? I just finished "dress yuour family in corudroy and denim" and I suggest it but not until you read "me talk pretty one day" let me know where you stand mister!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Chargenda said...

I love barrel fever the most...

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I finished Naked and am almost done w/ dress your family in corudroy and denim. I guess it's too late to start me talk pretty before I read it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

a lot of peeps say "barrel fever" is their fav. I myself mark "dress your fam.." as my fav. what do you think thus far?

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Barrel Fever is my favorite, too. Charlie, remember when you got it for me for Christmas? Some bitch borrowed and never gave it back. I hate her now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home