Friday, November 25, 2005

No Day But Today!



I realize how cheesy the title of this post is, but I felt the need to write it anyway. Lisa and I went to see it last night. Let me just say, I had huge expectations from this movie, and I was not disappointed. Finally, a musical where the people in it can actually sing.

It was a given that the majority of the leads were going to be amazing singers/actors. Let's face it, most of the original Broadway cast did this movie. I had seen previews for the movie, and Rosario Dawson looked like she would do an adequate job of portraying Mimi. The previews did not do her justice. I was a little worried that her character may be a little like Renee Zelwegger(or however her name is spelled. Frankly, I don't feel like wasting my time to find out) in Chicago. No, Rosario can sing. I won't sugar coat it, there were a few times where I thought she could have done better...hated her I should tell you sequence before her quasi death. That was just a small speed bump in an otherwise amazing movie.

To be honest, I've never seen a stage production of this show, so my view may be different if I had something other than the cast recording to compare it to. These people were fricking amazing though. I had goosebumps when the movie started. Seriously, hearing how tight the harmonies and cut offs were during Seasons Of Love; that's how music should sound. I'll be honest, I cried some...the finale gets me every time. Such a beautiful compilation of songs. Plus 1000 Sweet Kisses during Angel's funeral. I wasn't as bad as Lisa though. Her comment after the movie was, "The neck on my turtleneck is wet from crying."

There was a downside to this movie. That would be the people sitting behind us. I should have known to move when the opening credit started and they said they like this song. After the song, I heard them say I feel as though I should clap. I could have dealt with this, but it got so much worse.

It was bad enough that the girl had to ask her mom what T-cells are. I brief explanation would have been sufficient. No, the mom had to go into a long discourse about them after(an explanation that was laden with fallacies mind you). I realize the movie only had a PG-13 rating, and the word fuck was said 2 times in the movie, but does that mean you have to laugh each time it is said? A little giggle may have been okay, but nervous laughter was out of the question.

The things that really pissed me off were the comments made during the homosexual scenes. Rent has to deal with homosexual relationships for significant parts of the show. I understand that there are people who worship Hilter and hope that the wave of Neo-Nazi will overtake the world someday soon, but don't sit behind me and say eww whenever there is a gay kiss or statement of love. Also, don't pull out your cell phone every 4.2 minutes to see who called or what time it is. The light is somewhat obvious in a dim theatre. Yes, my ass fell asleep during the movie since it was long, but I was a trooper and sat there through it. It was that good, I didn't want to get up and rub it to get feeling back in it, so you don't need to see how long you've been sitting there either.

4 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Casey said...

Glad ya liked it. I saw it 4 times on stage. It's better that way. But, for a quarter (or less) of the price of a theatre ticket, you can go see the movie with most of the original cast.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger amanda said...

I am sorry you had bastards behind you when you saw it. Let the novelty wear off and go see it again, when all the jerks have already seen it once and won't be there to annoy you.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I saw it again last night. Much better this time around.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Chargenda said...

How dumb can these people be. I mean, do some research and if you can't handle fags in your movies, then don't go see movies with gay characters. Rent will be touring in Chicago in April. FYI, y'all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home