Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Like a Dream

I saw Dreamgirls last week. I had been waiting for someone to be willing to go with me. Friday night, I decided I didn't care anymore. I would go by myself if I had to. Luckily, MJ decided she would go with me.
I LOVE Jennifer Hudson. She was one of my favorites during her season of American Idol. It pained me that she was voted off so early. She's got mad talent and proved herself to be a bigger star then the forgettable Fantasia who won that year(incidentally, Fantasia also auditioned for the role of Effie, and obviously was passed over for Jennifer).
I had read the reviews, and was expecting Jennifer to be great. I wasn't prepared for her though. Anyone who has heard her sing before, knows she has an amazing voice, but I wasn't sure she would be able to pull off her role.
She blew me away. Her acting was more then adequate. What really got me was her use of her voice and facial expressions when she sang. She put so much feeling into her songs it was almost unbelievable. In fact, when she sang And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going, I was completely enthralled and couldn't move. The entire audience actually burst into applause at the end of the song. It was unreal.
What to say about Beyonce? I loved to hate her in the movie. I don't know if that's what she was really going for, but her character just made me angry in the movie. How can she do that to her friend? Bitch. Although, her singing and acting just didn't compare to Jennifer.
Like Amanda said on her blog, if you're going to see this movie, you have to see it in the theatre. I'm worried it will lose some of its magic on the small screen.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger amanda said...

Mmm-hmm!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger christa said...

well.... i would have gone with you... if you had asked me. i guess now i know where i stand. but if you want to go see it again. let me know... i'm in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home