Saturday, December 31, 2005

Janet Smokes Crack



The Sound of Music is one of my all time favorite movies. Julie Andrews, pre vocal cord surgery gone bad, is amazing. When Pit and Balcony did their production of it earlier in the year, I had to try out. I had always wanted to play Rolf, and I wasn't getting any younger, so I had to do it.

I consider doing that show one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I got the part of Rolf...of course, I'm so talented, there was no way anyone else could have done it. Rehearsals started, and I realized how big of a jackass the director was, and how campy he was making the show.

People will say that I have a bad attitude towards Rick, the director from the show, but I have good reason. Not only did he yell at me in front of the entire cast one day because I misunderstood a direction he gave me, he talked trash about my friends not realizing they were in the next room and could hear everything he said, and actually told someone not to cast me in a show since I was difficult to work with(I was cast in that show, and the director later told me she was really glad she did because she enjoyed working with me so much. I'm really not too difficult to work with).

Anyhow, Janet Martineu...or something close to that, I don't really know how to spell her name, reviews shows and art exhibits for the Saginaw News. I guess she wrote an article to recap the past year in today's issue. Apparently The Sound of Music made her top 10 art events in Saginaw in the last year. I won't go overboard and say the show was horrible, I was in it afterall, but it definitely wasn't that good. I think someone was sleeping with Janet in hopes of getting her to say that. It wasn't me though...I just vomited in my mouth a little thinking about someone sleeping with her.

6 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

I just read the article on line. Frankenstein Inc was also included as one of the top 10. At least she got one thing right.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Dustin Harder said...

I just vomited when I read that!! First off, Ric is a major MAJOR dick and a fucking idiot. Second-the sound of music on stage is just bad..bad bad bad. it doesnt matter if Marie Osmaond is playing Maria or not it's just like 3 1/2 hours of unbearable crap.

I'm sure you were brilliant though!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger amanda said...

If the director had left it alone and not added that horrendous beginning and ending, it would have been just fine, really. Not perfect, of course (very little community theatre is, let's be honest), but a decent show with some decent actors and singers. That "modern" stuff that was added, though, was truly among the most painful things I have ever witnessed in theatre, and no respectable director would ever dream of adding modern things to The Sound of Music. There's absolutely no justifying it.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Funny you should say that Amanda. That was one of the best things in the show, according to Janet's article

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger paultoes said...

can't stasi direct everything?

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Casey said...

We have our own Janet in Lafayette - Ray Blum. he's a total drunk and usually comes to the shows that way. And he thinks every show is the best thing ever, then he criticizes it. He's an ass. I'm sure you were great, and my hills are alive!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home