Sunday, October 23, 2005

Music for the season



I'm really excited for tomorrow. It marks the beginning of a Christmas tradition. I know what you're thinking. I just wrote a post about a week ago about how Christmas comes too early, blah, blah, blah. This is different though because I need time to practice.

Last year, my sister Katie and I decided it would be funny if we played songs for our family on Christmas Eve. Katie plays the clarinet and I play the trumpet. Ok, I played the trumpet about 10 years ago. I stopped after the 8th grade. I still remember the notes and such, it was just a matter of getting my lips strong enough to play again. Christmas Eve didn't go over too well last year though.

See, Katie and I practiced for about a month and a half before Christmas last year. We seriously practiced for about an hour almost every day too. We didn't take it lightly. I even spent time to write harmonies to the songs so we weren't just playing the melody the whole time. My parents didn't really appreciate the time we put in and wanted to just open presents. I was pissed. There was a small family argument that followed(there is no such thing as a holiday in the Warnke house without some sort of family spat). Katie and I are bound and determined to outdo ourselves this year so everyone is enthralled and forgets about the presents. I tried to convince her to play with me in church on Christmas Eve. She refused.

So you see, it may still be 2 months till Christmas Eve, but I haven't even touched my trumpet in 10 months, and it was about 9 years before that. We need all the practice we can get. I think I may even write an original song for us to play this year. I probably won't though. We'll probably just recycle the same songs we did the year before.

6 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger Chargenda said...

Come to Skanksgiving! Consider your skanky ass invited!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger paultoes said...

maybe you should play a skin flute.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Awww... my friends like you! I don't know if skin flute is such a good idea for FAMILY CHRISTMAS, however - stick to trumpet. Why don't you play Little Drummer Boy and you can play the same note over and over and Katie can play the melody? Think about it.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

FYI I think Amanda wrote that last comment despite the fact that it has my name on it.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Chargenda said...

Oh my goodness. that comment makes so much more sense now that I know amanda wrote it. i was really cornfused...

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger paultoes said...

i was confused too. really, amanda... you can't do that. we thought scott was even more crazy in the head than usual.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home