Friday, October 07, 2005

A Day in the Park

Yesterday was a beautiful day, so Deena and I decided to go the the park. We walked, talked, and drank apple cider. It was glorious. As we were sitting by our cars, sipping our cider we noticed an abundance of squirrels running near us.
I've heard that it's pretty easy to tame squirrels by feeding them. I had never really tried it though. Lucky for us, I had sunflower seeds in my car. Let the fun begin.
We started throwing the seeds at the squirrel, but let me tell you, squirrels are really dumb and don't have much of a sense of smell. Unless the seeds hit them in the nose, they can't find them. Regardless, our bushy tailed rodent friend was becoming more trusting of us, so I decided to try to feed it from my hand.
I had a pile of about 15 seeds in my hand, and he(yes, it was a boy, squirrels are pretty easy to sex when they stand on their hind legs and expose their goods to the world) walked up to me. Instead of going for the seeds though, he decided to nibble on my fingertip. I've had a rabies scare once before, and was not about to have one again, so I jerked my hand away before he could break the skin. Next thing I knew, he was trying to climb my pants. Things were starting to get out of control.
A few more squirrels started to show up. There was one mangy one in particular who scared us. She wasn't interested in the food, but would run up to you, stare into your eyes, and crouch like she was going to jump at you. I kept having thoughts of Chevy Chase, circa Christmas Vacation. I didn't like that squirrel.
The first squirrel started taking the seeds from Deena's fingers, but then he got greedy. He tried to bite her too. This just goes to show that, yes, you can tame squirrels, but they will always have the desire to bite. Also, don't feed squirrels right behind your car, because they won't move when you want to leave. I don't think we ran any over on our way out though.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger amanda said...

I was attacked by a goose once, when I was feeding it potato chips. Be careful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home