Monday, September 25, 2006

English


I'm not racist. I just need to throw that out there before I write this. I'm actually very impressed when people are able to speak more then one language. However, if English isn't your first language, I feel there are certain jobs you shouldn't hold. Namely, you shouldn't be taking my call at FedEx.
I call FedEx all the time for work. Whenever

we have labwork that we aren't able to run at the clinic, FedEx comes to pick it up and send it to the lab for us. I have their telephone script down, and can answer all their questions for them before they ask me. It's amazing.

Today, I called, and got a man who spoke broken English and couldn't understand me. It was really frustrating for me. First of all, he doesn't need my name. Second, I shouldn't have to spell my last name for you 3 times before you get it correct. Third, when I say, I know it's too late for pick up tonight, you can pick up the package after 7:30 tomorrow, the next thing out of his mouth shouldn't be, I'm sorry it's past your cut off time for pick up tonight. What time will it be available tomorrow?

6 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Chargenda said...

Well, not saying you are racist. But, my boyfriend, whose first language isn't English, did telephon customer service for 6 years for an airline. Just because you got one bad guy who spoke broken english doesn't make your statement OK. He speaks perfect English with an accent. Maybe you should just get out more. Or maybe people who can't spell shouldn't be writing blogs.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger christa said...

or maybe people who can't understand English shouldn't be speaking it either!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

If my spelling bothers people so much, perhaps they shouldn't read my blog.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Chargenda said...

I am Scott's friend and read his blog. Just because I disagree doesn't mean anything. Was just being a smart ass and making a bit of a point. Sorry if you took it personally Scott, just expressing my views.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Skittles, making fun of your spelling is sometimes the highlight of my day. Which means that some days, my life is pretty sad.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Sexbox said...

What's so ironic is many of these call centers are based in India! Go figure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home