Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I No Longer Have Dignity

I consider myself to be quite fashionable. I'm always abreast with the latest fashions and styles. I'm not really, but that's okay. I like to make sure I look presentable though.
The problem I'm having currently is with my job. About a year ago, the corporate office decided to change our uniforms. What was once a solid blue scrub top was replaced by a blue print that has paw prints, children, dogs, cats, rabbits, and a bird that looks like a cross between an owl and a hawk. It is by far, the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I couldn't find a picture online, and I don't want to take a picture of my shirts, so the only visual you get is my description.
Anyhow, when the change was enforced, I refused to wear the new top. I would show up to work in my old one and go about business like always. At one point, I had a talk with my bosses about it. They wanted me to wear the new clothes; I threatened to quit if they made me. Since it wasn't an idle bluff on my part, they came with a compromise. I could wear my old scrubs. It really wasn't a compromise at all since I got what I wanted out of it, and they got nothing in return, but it makes me sound less harsh to refer to it as a compromise.
We recently hired in a new staff member. It seems we're always hiring new people in because no one sticks around for long. I have my theories as to why that is, but I won't get into it. The problem this time around is that they hired a male. In the history of the clinic, I'm the only male who has worked there, until now.
I was called into a short meeting last week and told that since the old scrub tops were no longer being made, they had to order the ugly new ones for him. The deal we made a year ago was void, and I was expected to wear the uniform. I reminded them of my vow to quit before I would wear it, but I think they want me gone because they didn't budge.
I still wasn't too concerned. I just wouldn't wear the new shirts. They can't make me change after I get there if I have nothing to change into. They know me too well. Monday morning, I went to work in my normal scrubs. They had extra shirts waiting there for me and made me change into one. Of course they all thought it was funny to see me wearing puppies and kittens all over my torso, but I'll have the last laugh when I get a new job over it. They made the mistake of thinking that I'm not vain enough to leave a job over ugly uniforms.

5 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger christa said...

So you refuse to wear a scrub top with puppies and kittens but you can wear skin tight shorts that lace up the front with a mesh shirt and a thong. Hmmmm....

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Well played, Christa. Well played indeed!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

But that outfit was hot, this one is not so much.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger christa said...

thanks amandarama! And as for Scott looking hot in that outfit... not so much! Hahaha! Maybe puppies and kittens are more your style after all!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Casey said...

I'd work the shit out of some puppy and kitten scrubs! Don't quit. I think you should find some crazy scrub pants to wear with it, like hot pink or something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home