Friday, August 11, 2006

There's Always Next Time



As I wrote earlier in the week, I got to have a private audition for The Wizard of Oz. I guess knowing that I was going to be getting a call, I should have prepared something, but for whatever reason, I didn't.

Yesterday, I was at work and checked my phone for messages on break. There was a message from the Pit asking if I could make it there at 6. I was working till 6, so I called and let them know I would be a few minutes late, but I would be there. I left work a few minutes early, and sang through my old stand by audition song while driving.

I arrived, and filled out my audition form. My voice is exhausted from rehearsing and lack of sleep in general, so I knew the audition would be a little rough. That kind of scared me because I know that of acting and singing, singing is my stronger talent by far. I didn't have any music with me, so I got to sing acapella...not really sure how that's spelled, and I know spell check won't catch it.

I was able to hit all the notes, but it was a strain for some of them, and you could hear the mucus rattle with my vocal chords. I probably should have warmed up a bit before getting there. Too late for that.

I went to rehearsal, and got a phone call while I was there asking me to come back tonight for a call back. I was a little surprised, but was willing to give it a go.

Both rehearsal and call backs started at 6 tonight. I let the director of Rocky know I would be a little late, and prepared for call backs by taking a nap today. When I got there, we were told we would have to sing a song from the show, and do readings from the script.

For those who don't know, I have a hard time reading out loud. I don't really know why. I'm perfectly competent as a reader, but when I have to read out loud, I stumble all over words and make a fool of myself. After being there for almost an hour, I was told that I was going to need to do a reading.

There were about 10 people who were asked to read parts from that section of the script. I got my copy and was about to start reading it, when the director told me I was the first one to go. Great. I did the best I could to develop a character out of a section of a show when I had no idea what was going on. It didn't work too well.

He asked me to read it again after everyone else had read, and by that point in time, I didn't even care anymore. I knew I had blown any chance of getting a decent role in the show. I read through it with a little more gusto then the time before. A few minutes later, I reminded the director I had to leave to get to my rehearsal. I figured, what's the use of staying when I'm not going to be cast. I left, and will not be waiting for a call from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home