Friday, November 23, 2007

Anal Glands

All dogs have them...unless they've had surgery to remove them, I suppose. I guess I should say all dogs are born with them. I suppose there may be the genetic mutant out there that was born without them, but I just want to get on with my story.
So, dogs(and cats) have glands on either side of their rectum. The glands fill with an oily discharge that is primarily used for marking territory and the like. For whatever reason, some dogs aren't able to express these glands on their own, and they need to be manually expressed or else they can get infected. Enough Biology for tonight, on to the story.
Ted E Bear(yes that's really his name) came in today for a routine check up. The owner asked us to express his glands. Now, if you've ever smelled anal gland material, you'll know the pleasentness of the process. Noramally, they express pretty easily, but the first one I did was kind of thick(really sorry, this story is gross, and it only gets worse). It was difficult to get it out. I got it out, and moved on the the other one.
Expecting the same thickness, I raised the tail higher then I normally would in hopes of getting leverage and prepared to squeeze harder then I noramally would. Probably not the best idea. See, this one had a normal consistancy to it, so when it expressed, it came out easily. Due to my poor judgement of holding the tail high and squeezing hard, it shot out of the gland...right onto my face. Yeah, it was about the grossest thing I've ever encoutered.
So there you have it. After over a month of not posting, I'm back in full force with a gross story that no one wanted to hear about, but that I found necessary to share. Feel free to discuss.

2 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger christa said...

so... i puked in my mouth a little bit.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Whereas I laughed out loud - who's the better friend?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home