Friday, July 14, 2006

The Final Time...To Date



Just a quick warning. If you ever write a post about car accidents, don't look for pictures online. You'll find some of the most horrifying images you can imagine.

This is my third close call with death. It happened when I was a junior in high school. My sister, Megan's, boyfriend had just bought a new car, and wanted to show it off. He was over and decided to go to 7-11. Molly and I were never ones to pass up an opportunity to get food, so we tagged along, much to the chagrin of Meg-Negs, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I used to have this problem with not wanting to get dressed. I would go places in my pajamas all the time if I was already in them. I guess it's kind of trashy, but I was young, and didn't know any better. That night was the last time I ever went anywhere in my pj's.

Brynn wanted to see if he could get his car to 100. The problem was, we were on a stretch of road that's only a mile long before it ends in a ditch. He didn't realize that. Molly and I were in the backseat, and didn't have our seatbelts on, which is something I've never done since that day, not wear a seatbelt.

We hit 100, and were cruising along when we realized the road was ending soon, and there was no way we were going to stop in time. Brynn tried to turn the corner doing about 60, and was doing a fairly good job, before he lost control of the car. There was just enough room for a car between the electrical box and street sign on the opposite side of the road, and we somehow ended up between them, on a 45 degree angle with the ditch.

I remember thinking I had died when we stopped. Everything went white for a second, I'm not sure if I passed out, or if the impact just overloaded my senses. I didn't die though. We made sure everyone was okay, before we tried to get out of the car.

We literally had to climb out, since the car was at such an angle, and we couldn't get out the side that was down more in fear the car would roll on top of us. It wasn't until after I was standing on the side of the road in my pajamas that I realized I didn't have my glasses anymore.

Here I was, without any real clothes, freezing, and unable to see. Molly got a black eye in the ordeal, and I had severe whiplash. The funny thing about whiplash to me, is that they will give people neck braces. I didn't get one because I didn't go to the doctor, since there isn't really any treatment for it. I find it funny that they give you a brace to keep you from moving your neck, when in all actuality, I couldn't move my neck if I wanted to. For a week straight, I was always looking straight forward. People made so much fun of me for it.

The morale is, don't speed. If you do speed, make sure everyone has a seatbelt on. That night could have ended very badly. Also, if you're going to go somewhere in the middle of the night in February, make sure you dress for it. Pajamas should be worn to bed only. Unless you're going to a costume party, in which case, that is the only exception, but bring a coat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home