Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Mafia Links



I know, I said I wasn't going to write anymore, but I changed my mind, simply because this story has to be told. That, and the fact that I'm fickle and change my mind with the weather.

I just got back from the bar where we had yet another bachelor party of sorts for my brother. Yes, it is early, but I have to work in the morning, so I didn't stay out late. Small details aside, I had an interesting conversation while I was out.

One of my brother's friends from high school showed up. I realize that this post may result in my murder, but life isn't worth living without some risks. There's an ongoing joke between my brother and his friends that this person has ties to the mafia due to his last name. I'm familiar with him and his family, since he had older siblings that I went to high school with as well, and I've wondered about extended family and the mafia myself.

After a few drinks were had, and jokes about his mafia ties were over-used, he confessed to us that his family does indeed have ties to the mafia. Granted, pretty much anyone with an Italian last name can probably say they have mafia ties somewhere in their family tree. Yes, I stereotype. His story is nothing short of amazing.

He told us that when there are big family gatherings...weddings, funerals, etc, cameras are sometimes prohibited to protect family members. Cool enough, but then he told the more interesting aspect of the story. Apparently, Jimmy Hoffa, mafia boss extrordinare, isn't related to his family, but his family is well known in certain circles because of their ties to him.

As it turns out, Jimmy's fateful trip that resulted in his disappearance, was actually a trip to see my bar friend's uncle. Jimmy was underway to see the uncle of a person sitting across a table from me when he famously disappeared. All I could think was, why isn't my family this interesting?

I need to hang out with these people more. I'm sure they have amazing stories to share. I need to talk with him again and encourage him to start a blog. If he doesn't agree to do so, he needs to tell me more stories so I can write about them on mine.

3 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger ADMITNOTHING said...

http://www.toughjews.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger amanda said...

See? That's why you need to keep blogging.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

How random.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home