Monday, June 12, 2006

Bless the Pets


A few weeks ago, I got found out that my work was going to participate in a bless the pets at a local church. We needed to send some representatives to go and answer questions people may have about their pets after the blessing. My interest was sparked and I volunteered to go. The actual blessing was on Saturday.
I didn't really know what to expect. I found the whole concept to be funny, and that was the only reason I wanted to go in the first place. I hoped I would be able to bless a few myself, but alas, that was reserved for the pastor.
Arriving at the church was odd, indeed. The doctor and I walked in, and there was a dog running around inside. I guess I just assumed the blessing and activities would take place outside. No, it took place in the actual chapel, with dogs running around and barking.
The blessing itself was somewhat of a let down. I was hoping for a baptism or some sort of chant that the pets were allowed to participate in. No such luck. All that happened was the pastor said a prayer over all the pets. Boring.
Even more boring was the fact that the only pets there were dogs. I had high expectations for someone to bring their pet cow or goat into the church. I mean, if you're going to get your pet blessed, you may as well go all out and try and outdo everyone by bringing the most original pet. Maybe I'm the only one who is competitive during pet blessings.
After the blessing, which took about 45 minutes by the time all was said and done...there were songs, scripture readings, and even a time to share stories about you pets, it was time for us to answer questions people had about their pets. I made small talk with some of the people about how cute their overweight dogs were, etc. Then, someone asked me to look at a lump on their dog's head.
As I went to touch the dog, it tried to bite me. Luckily, I deal with this every day, and have lightening fast reflexes. The owners told me not to worry, she won't bite. Right, that's why she just snapped at me. Apparently, blessing a pet doesn't affect their temperament or the owners ability to lie.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger christa said...

You should have told me about this pet blessing thing.... I would have gone with my pet degu (dAY-Goo). Sorry I missed it! And is the dog that won't bite that almost bit you okay? What about the lump on its head? Cancerous? I am worried so I added the dog in my prayers! God Bless.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Casey said...

It would have been so much cooler if they dunked all the dogs in the holy water to baptize them!

Praise Jesus ... and doggies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home