Sunday, January 14, 2007

Keep Some Distance

Last night, I did something amazing. I chaperoned a dance for the 7th and 8th graders at my church. As if I wasn't feeling old enough as it is, being a chaperone just pushed me over the edge.
I remember when I used to go to those dances. I thought they were so much fun. No one really danced, except for an occasional slow song, but we thought we were so cool to be out on a Saturday night in a social setting. Drama always ensued, and I was ready to be the moderator for any fights that may break out.
Actually, there was no need for me to be there. I only had to break up one fight, and it wasn't even a fight. Two boys were goofing around kicking each other. It was all in fun, but I had to tell them to stop. I tried to act tough when I told them to knock it off, and they probably thought I was such an ass, but really, I couldn't have cared less if they started doing it again as soon as I walked away. I wonder if that's how the chaperones felt when I was at those dances. Thinking about that makes my head spin though.
I figured that by the end of the night, we would have to turn hoses on some of the couples during the slow dances. If you want to get pregnant, that's fine, but just don't do it when I'm responsible for you. Well, it turns out we had nothing to worry about. I was actually laughing at how the kids danced. If there was a couple slow dancing, they would stand an arms length apart. None of them would look at each other, and normally, there was a third person standing next to them, talking to them so there was a distraction and no real conversations were needed. Aww, young love.
By the second hour of the dance, I was ready to pass out from boredom. My sister and I decided to entertain ourselves and dance. They kept playing old school Britney, Backstreet Boys, and N'sync, songs from our high school days. We wanted to bust a move to them. We both walked out to the dance floor and stopped at the same time. We realized that we don't know how to dance, unless we dance dirty, which probably wouldn't be a good idea. We ended up walking off the floor without dancing.

3 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger christa said...

I saw N'Sync in concert.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger equippedtofascinate said...

Christa, was it the Pop tour down in Detroit? I was at that concert too. I was so cool back in the day.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger christa said...

Umm... yeah I think so. I think I was in seventh grade so that was in like 1999 or something. I still have the t-shirt I got! Maybe I'll wear it somethime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home